Kent Enterprise Trust (KET) is a charity that has been breaking down the barriers to unemployment for the people in Kent for over 30 years. The need for our work is stronger then ever and following a recent strategic review, KET are putting a new strategic plan in place with clear goals for funding, developing and delivering our services. Having recruited a number of new Trustees we are now looking for someone who can fill the role of Chair to join us in our change journey.
Our vision is that no one in Kent of employable age should be out of work because they have not have the opportunity to reach their full potential. Our mission is to improve the lives of people living in Kent by enabling them to overcome individual challenges to employment by providing support, training and access to opportunities to develop their potential.
Our organisation is small with low management costs. We have a loyal group of volunteers and friends of KET, and a small number of contracted employees, including a CEO. We own Kent Enterprise House in Herne Bay where we maintain 50% of the space for the work of the charity. In the remaining half of the building we let out serviced offices and meeting rooms. This generates a sustainable stream of funding from the profits of the rental incomes. Our rental tenants are mostly small to medium sized Kent businesses. We also have Stream Walk Community Garden in Whitstable where we provide horticultural and wood working experience. The garden has proved to be an amazingly valuable learning environment that leads to observable positive changes for many of our beneficiaries, including people who might struggle to develop their potential in an office environment.
KET delivers its services mainly through designing training and development programmes and working with our partners to give people of employable age a better chance of finding meaningful work. We ensure our beneficiaries receive practical, real life skills. We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to build confidence, learn and develop, improve their chances of employment and feel a worthwhile member of a community.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring compliance with good governance standards and effective risk management, strategic planning and policy development.
- Represent KET to external stakeholders, functions and meetings and develop us as a key charity in Kent
- Identify and influence growth and funding opportunities for KET, such as new contracts, partnerships and services
- Support the CEO on specific projects on areas of expertise when required
- Set the agendas, attend and chair monthly Board meetings and other meetings as required
- Ensure KET complies with governing documents, company and charity law and other legislation
This is a key position at a very exciting time for KET. There are still many challenges but all our trustees are committed to good governance and the success of our new strategic plan. If you have previous Board or Trustee experience and bring the leadership qualities we need please send your cv to email@example.com or for more information about the role call Ingrid Blades on 07734 756001.